When you slow down or stop your car, the brake rotors get gripped by the brake pads and this process minimizes braking efficiency.
Replacing them periodically is wise to stop short enough to avoid a collision.
Here is how to remove the brake rotors of a 2011 Scion tC.
In order to remove the wheel and brake calipers, it is required to have a complete toolbox, two M8 – 1.25 x 20mm bolts and a jack.
- Jack up your car on an even surface. Make sure you engage the parking break before. Also put some jacks stands under it after lifting it.
- Now remove the wheel
- Unscrew the bolts that fix the brake caliper to the wheels fusee and remove it.
- There are two threaded empty holes on the brake rotor on the outer side. Put each of the two M8 bolts in them.
- Gradually screw the bolts using a ratchet.
- Careful as the brake rotor will eventually pop out.