The Honda Metropolitan (Giorno) has achieved the status of classic scooter—and rightfully so, as fun styling along with a 50cc fuel-injected four-stroke engine have kept this little icon on the favorites list.
There’s a locking, 22 liter under-seat storage area large enough to stow a helmet and also an inner storage bin that can hold a 1-liter bottle, plus a larger convenience hook to secure a bag. With easy-to-operate features, affordable price and operating costs, plus loads of Honda quality and reliability, the Metropolitan turns short hops into big fun.
Best of all, with a price tag of $2,499 it makes it affordable and within each of just about anyone in search of an affordable and cost-cutting mode of transportation.
- Pearl Soft Beige
- Denim Blue Metallic
- Engine Type : 49cc single-cylinder four-stroke
- Induction : PGM-FI with automatic enrichment
- Ignition : Full Transistorized Ignition
- Bore (MM) : 39.5
- Compression Ratio : 12.0:1
- Cooling : Liquid
- Displacement in CC : 49
- Displacement in CI : 3
- Engine Type : Single-Cylinder
- Starter : Electric
- Stroke : 40.3
- Valve Configuration : SOHC
- Primary Drive : Belt
- Transmission Type : Automatic V-Matic belt drive
- Front Suspension : Telescopic; 2.7 inches travel
- Rear Suspension : Single shock; 2.3 inches travel
BRAKES AND TYRES
- Front Brake : Drum
- Rear Brake : Drum
- Front Brake Diameter : 95
- Rear Brake Diameter : 4.3
- Front Tyre : 80/100-10
- Rear Tyre : 80/100-10
- Wheelbase : 46.5 inches
- Seat Height : 28.3 inches
- Curb Weight : 179 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity : 1.2 gallons
- Miles Per Gallon : 117 MPG*
- Efficient four-stroke 49cc engine consumes substantially less fuel and produces significantly lower exhaust emissions than a comparable two-stroke engine.
- The estimated fuel economy for the fuel-efficient Metropolitan is 117 MPG.
- Automatic Honda V-Matic transmission allows speeds up to 40 mph.
- Combined Braking System (CBS) provides excellent stopping power.
- Lightweight, sturdy aluminum chassis is recyclable and contributes to the Metropolitan’s maneuverability and excellent fuel economy.
- Lockable underseat compartment offers nearly 22 liters of storage capacity.
- Lockable centerstand deters unauthorized use.
- New inner storage bin can hold a 1-liter bottle, and a larger convenience hook allows the rider to conveniently secure a bag.
- Well-padded seat boasts a low 28.3-inch seat height for added confidence at stops.
- Underseat storage compartment with 22-liter capacity holds groceries or a full-face helmet.
- Instrumentation includes analog speedometer, odometer, analog fuel gauge and indicator lights for coolant temperature and low/high beams.
- Audible turn-signal indicator.
- Parking brake.
- Key-operated ignition lock has an integrated trunk-release switch. By pushing in the key, the rider can easily unlock the spacious storage compartment under the main seat.
- Centerstand locking lever located inside the underseat storage compartment discourages unauthorized use.
- Rear hand grip.
- Helmet holder locks helmet in place under seat.
- Shopping-bag holder.
- Backup kickstarter.
- Twin-filament headlight with 35-watt low / high beam provides ample nighttime illumination.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Fuel-cap design allows easy removal.
- Handlebar switches and controls use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
- Transferable one-year, unlimited-mileage limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
- Lightweight 49cc four-stroke OHC liquid-cooled single-cylinder 2-valve engine (engine code: AF74E) provides ample power for in-town riding.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) delivers excellent throttle response over a wide variety of riding conditions.
- Maintenance-free solid-state CD ignition system.
- Simple push-button electric starter.
- Starter system utilizes the engine’s brushless alternator (ACG) for starting, eliminating the need for a separate starter motor. This simple design requires no maintenance and lowers overall weight for even better fuel economy.
- Solid-state ECU provides control for ignition timing, alternator regulator, ACG/starter and electric fuel pump.
- Lightweight, maintenance-free, magnetically driven water pump eliminates the need for mechanical seals.
- Compact engine-mounted radiator has aluminum fins for optimal cooling in all riding conditions.
- Electromagnetic fuel pump is located in the fuel tank under the Metropolitan’s floor and contributes to the excellent storage space under the seat.
- Automatic cam-chain tensioner requires virtually no maintenance.
- Ultra-quiet exhaust system.
- Automatic Honda V-Matic belt-drive transmission provides spirited acceleration and requires virtually no maintenance.
CHASSIS / SUSPENSION
- Two-piece, die-cast-aluminum chassis provides an optimum balance of light weight and rigidity for excellent handling.
- Twin-downtube fork front provides 1.9 inches of plush travel for a well-controlled ride.
- Single-side aluminum swingarm with single-shock rear suspension has 2.6 inches of travel for a compliant, comfortable ride.
- Front and rear drum brakes offer predictable, powerful stopping power.
- The Metropolitan’s CBS brakes (CBS = Combined Brake System) provide added control when slowing or stopping. Rider application of the front-brake lever activates the front brake in conventional fashion. Application of the rear-brake lever mounted on the left handlebar, activates the rear-brake and the front brake together; when only the rear brake lever is used, a proportioning mechanism gradually applies the front brake.
- High-grip, high-mileage tires.