US President Barack Obama on Sunday landed on the Indian ground, where he saw a special someone waiting to welcome him apart from Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Yes, we are talking about the ‘talk of the town’ – Obama’s ‘The Beast’.
The body of the limousine ‘Beast’ sits on a Cadillac DTS. An 8-inch thick armour plating on the body and 5-inch thick bulletproof windows ensure the President is safe from all threats as well as chemical attacks.
The Secret Service will unleash the beast only when Mr President will take a ride on it on Republic Day.
The move to make US President’s ride the safest in the world came following the assassination of President John F Kennedy, who was killed while riding on an open top Lincoln Continental.
Know ‘The Beast’
- The weight of the Beast’s door is similar to those of a Boeing-757 aircraft
- The vehicle weighs eight tones
- The Beast runs on shred and puncture resistant Kevlar-reinforced tyres and steel rims
- A special foam protects the vehicle’s fuel tank in order to avoid any kind of explosion
- The Beast is based on a Cadillac DTS
- The limousine doesn’t have a specific model name
- The Beast has been built using features that come from various vehicles from the General Motors brand. The origins of chassis, doors, headlights, side mirrors and door handles are different.
- The vehicle gives a mileage of 3.4 km per litre